Kaplan Kirsch & Rockwell assists public and private clients in developing, proposing and advocating for policies and legislation necessary to implement broader legal strategies. Our lawyers are very familiar with congressional policymaking and funding processes and have represented many clients in securing favorable consideration for clients from Congress and in obtaining federal funds for specific projects. For example, our lawyers have:
- Assisted a client in drafting a series of ordinances regulating adult businesses, billboards and signage as part of an economic development strategy for property acquired in a settlement agreement with a neighboring municipality.
- Prepared development regulations binding on state projects under an unusual state authorizing statute for a client concerned with the local impacts of a proposed highway expansion project.
- Represented clients before state regulatory bodies in rulemaking proceedings to address climate pollution, wildlife habitat protection and environmental justice issues.
- Assisted a municipal client in drafting amendments to its solid waste ordinance to conform with current state and federal law in conjunction with the renegotiation of a solid waste franchise agreement.
In the airport industry in particular, our team assists in developing and advocating the policy interests of clients. These matters include:
- Legislation, regulations and policies concerning PFCs, rates and charges, use of airport revenues, airport access and noise.
- Securing favorable FAA interpretation of specific airport obligations and financing arrangements.
- Advising clients on structuring programs to comply with federal regulatory and grant assurance requirements.
- Securing legislative relief from burdens imposed by Safety Management Systems.
- Securing congressional hearings on airport development cost overruns.
- Securing revisions to regulations and FAA orders, directives and policies to protect clients from unnecessary or burdensome regulatory requirements.
- Securing approvals for innovative airline incentive programs.
- Navigating the process for closure of an airport after the expiration of grant assurance obligations.
- Commenting on, and participating in, federal rulemaking and policymaking processes concerning the panoply of airport regulatory issues.